The feeling of having swollen legs is a problem that affects many women in all seasons, with a tendency to be aggravated over the years. Despite the use of diuretics be a temptation (a way to resolve the issue quickly, but temporary), the best is to seek the causes of swollen legs and act on them.
About 70 percent of our body consists of water. Two thirds are inside cells and one third is in the extracellular fluid. This proportion, is maintained due to the balance between sodium (which is present outside the cells) and potassium (existing within the cells). Both elements regulate the water flow and basic activities of the body.
Because water is the major component of blood and lymph, its function is to transport nutrients to the cells and dilute substances that must be removed later.
Swollen legs – Causes
In fact, fluid retention, is mainly due to a genetic predisposition, but there are other causes that cause this inconvenient problem, which may even be painful. Before taking any action, it is essential to know what causes fluid retention, and consequently, swollen legs.
The stable balance between sodium and potassium, depends on an appropriate presence of magnesium and vitamin B6 in body. Both participate in metabolism of polyunsaturated fatty acid and regulate their permeability. Moreover, the lack of Vitamin C increases capillary fragility and hinders the passage of liquid from the blood vessels into the extracellular fluid.
- Ideally, include in your diet, organically grown foods and whole grains.
- Also be sure to eat lots of vegetables.
A diet rich in fat foods or the consumption of potentially allergenic products (such as milk or wheat), may compromise the clearance capacity of the lymphatic system, which causes the appearance of cellulite and swollen legs.
- Lymphatic drainage and reflexology sessions, improve blood circulation and stimulate the elimination of liquids in the organism.
Not drinking enough liquids, may lead to the storage of waste products, that are undiluted and can not be eliminated.
- Drink more water during the day.
Certain anti-conceptive or estrogen replacement treatments, can cause fluid retention, swollen legs and weight gain.
- Check with your doctor about the options that exist to avoid this problem.
It is caused by stress and fatigue.
- Eat vegetables and avoid foods that are inhibitor the proper functioning of thyroid.
- If you do not want to have swollen legs but lighter ones, avoid salt in excess and the ingestion of refined foods, such as, sugar, alcohol and coffee, as well as milk and fat products.
- Prioritise the salads and the vegetable soups, algae or miso.
- Traditional Chinese medicine, also recommends the soup of rice and barley, to stimulate kidney function.
- Alternated showers of cold and hot water, 0n the swollen legs, improve blood circulation and stimulate the removal of liquid.
- With physical exercise and the use of creams, you get your legs lighter.
Surely you have noticed that many women do not drop out its plastic water bottle with strange shades (yellow, orange, etc.). What gives color to water are the liquid supplements, which purpose is to drain; that is, regulate the all water in organism (the lymphatic system, liver, kidney and large intestine).
These draining beverages have a detoxifying action, improve circulation and, therefore, prevent water retention in the organism. Ingredients used in its composition are often the same, horsetail, black currant, fennel, vine, artichoke, green tea, guarana, pineapple, since they have a recognized antioxidant and draining power.
But beware, if they are not associated with a diet, these drinks do not make lose weight and also do not feed! It is necessary to eat moderately.
Reinvent the water
It cannot be said too often: you must drink 1.5 liters of water per day. Bet on the mineral waters, rich in trace elements, calcium and potassium, but poor in sodium. And if the “no taste” of water eventually will end up exhausting you, feel free to reinvent it. Add to cold water, a slice of lemon, orange or grapefruit, some mint leaves, rosemary or thyme.
The blog and the author, are not responsible for any damage, loss, misuse or any other consequence, directly or indirectly resulting from the application of the suggestions made.
It is therefore the entire responsibility of reader the results achieved from the application of these tips.
This content is also available in: Portuguese (Portugal)
Leave your comment here - your opinion is important